Dave's Desert Island Discs
Updated: Jul 16
Golf Coach David Stewart
Picture: Golf coach David Stewart practicing his swing / Credit: Horton Park Golf School
The Hub's golf coach, family man David Stewart, explains his passion for teaching the game he loves and presents his favourite music. Expecting a younger set of songs? David says musically, he has an old head on young shoulders, inspired by Paul, his ex-DJ father.
Golf is the Key to Life
David Stewart* started playing golf at Horton Park Golf Club at the age of 13 with a starting handicap of 31. 10 years later David's handicap was down to 4, allowing him to turn professional. David has just finished the 3 year PGA degree covering all aspects of golf.
David's main passion since turning professional has been teaching. He loves to see people improve and gain more of an understanding of how their golf swing works.
David has won every board tournament at Horton Park and holds the scoring record for the club championship in his last competitive year. "I have so many good memories playing here and now hope to make more through teaching."
* Adapted from The Horton Park Golf Club website.
Songs in the Key of Life
Picture: Front cover of Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder / Credit: Motown
1. Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder: Reminds me of when dad was doing his disco. 2. Too Hot - Kool and the Gang: Loved Kool and the Gang growing up and this is my favorite song of theirs.
3. Wish I Didn't Miss You - Angie Stone: Dad did street discos during Lockdown and this stands out as one which the whole street loved. 4. The Glow of Love - Change: Another Lockdown tune. I'm a big fan of Luther Vandross and his early work with Change.
5. Could You be Loved - Bob Marley: This reminds me of my Nan. She loves reggae, as does all of the family.
YouTube video: Drizabone - Real Love feat MC Ni
6. Ain't No Stopping Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead: A big family tune whenever we have a party. 7. We Are Family - Sister Sledge: Again, another big family tune whenever we go on holiday.
8. Real Love - Drizabone: Biggest family tune of them all! I found it some years ago and it's grown in popularity throughout the family since. 9. I Found Lovin' - Fatback Band: I enjoying practicing my putting to this song as the rhythm helps me keep my tempo. Very strange but it works! 10. Unforgettable - Nat King Cole: There is a family meaning to this. So got to have it!
You can listen to David Stewart's Desert Island Discs playlist, Dave's Discs, by clicking on the link below.